A group of
researchers run their submarine aground at the bottom of the ocean when hey hit
an air bubble impossibly tethered to the ocean floor. The real adventure begins
when they open the hatch and step outside.
For the last 2 decades my sole job was to maneuver this
submarine in a grid formation along the dedalus floor. The dedalus floor,
infamous for being the tectonic plate that caused the 1977 Great dedalus
earthquake. It buried more people than the soviets lost in WWII with a never
before seen 17.8 magnitude earthquake. It was also the cause for the 1977
tsunami that swept away millions of souls off this earth.
I joined the Dedalus Research Corporation with a bigger
picture in mind. To become a part of something bigger than my self. To prevent
any further disasters caused by the floor to avenge my wife and kids.
These days its just my hellish life. With nothing left for
me above the surface, I spend my 234th day of my 25th expedition in
a meter by meter box with only enough oxygen for myself to last 1 year.
Log #234 of Expedition 25
Grid number FG327, no
abnormalities, no seismic activity, no change in pressure, no change in ground
composition, no change in water pH, no change in anything.
Grid number FG328, no
abnormalities, no seismic activity, no change in pressure, no change in ground
composition, no change in water pH, no change in anything.
*
*
*
Grid number FG400, no
abnormalities, no seismic activity, no change in pressure, no change in ground composition,
no change in water pH, no change in anything.
End log.
Very rarely is there a change. The occasional change in
seismic activity came about every 9 days or so and all the other changes were
also very predictable. Everything else was handled at the surface where they
would subdue the floors urges to move with 5 pillars that stabilized the floor.
All I had to do was test each grids 400 sectors and type
whatever I record into the computer.
Log #234 of Expedition 25
Grid number FH001, no
abnormalities, no seismic activity, no change in pressure, no change in ground
composition, no change in water pH, no change in anything.
Grid number FH002, no
abnormalities, no seismic activity, no change in pressure, no change in ground
composition, no change in water pH, no change in anything.
Grid number FH003,
Abnormality, no seismic activity, change in pressure, change in ground composition,
change in pH.
This was unusual. None of the predictions suggested any
changes today but it wasn’t too out of the ordinary. It was either some error
or unpredicted shift in the plates and a little heads up would keep everything
at bay.
The piercing alarms went off and the red lights lit up the
tiny sub. All the needles and equipment went berserk. For some strange reason
the speakers kept repeating “NO WATER, NO WATER, NO WATER”. This made no sense.
I looked out the window and there was truly no water.
Grid number FH003, NO
WATER
I contacted support. “Unexpected occurrence at Grid number
FH003.” Not even the monotone, useless AI picked up the line.
For once in my 25 year career something exciting yet
terrifying happened. I was the most fearful I have ever been but also happy
that I now has some sort of discovery to my name.
I opened the sub hatch and no water came gushing in, no leak
measures came on and I for sure was not wet. I stepped out and still no water
touched me.
From what I could tell I was stuck in some sort of air
bubble but only one side of the air bubble was present. The other side was
infinite…
Comments
Post a Comment